Selecting a Tutor
- Why do I want a tutor for my child (remediation, skill building, enrichment)?
- How will tutoring be connected to my child's school work?
- Will the teachers collaborate with the tutor?
- What is my child's learning style?
- How does my child feel about tutoring?
- Would my child prefer a male or female tutor?
- What credentials/training have you had in education and/or special education?
- What experience have you had with students my child's age?
- How would you adapt instructional materials and your teaching strategies to meet my child's learning style and interests?
- How do you motivate your students? How do you keep a student on track?
- What positive reinforcement techniques do you use?
- How will your tutoring activities be coordinated with my child's?
- How often will I receive progress reports on my child's work?
- What are your fees per session? How long is each session?
- Where will you tutor my child? How many sessions do you estimate it will take to take care of my child's needs?
- Can you give me three references relating to your tutoring work?
- Has your child retained the skills and information taught?
- Did your child enjoy attending the tutoring sessions?
Courtesy of the Schwab Foundation for Learning at http://www.schwablearning.org. All contents (R) and TM 1997, 1998, 1999 Schwab Foundation for Learning All Rights Reserved
Any interested person or organization may copy or reprint portions of this article provided such copy may not be sold or otherwise used for commercial purposes and any such copy must contain the above stated copyright notice.
is hearing a student say,
"Thank you for understanding me."